Helping to form and develop strong leadership within business that will ultimately help lead the future of Weirton.
Leadership Weirton Goal:
To conduct an annual program which will develop a corps of informed, committed and qualified individuals to provide a leadership source for Brooke and Hancock County organizations, both public and private, to meet their future needs.
Leadership Weirton Objectives:
- Identify and select highly qualified leaders to participate in the program.
- Provide the participants with an understanding of the opportunities and need of the community through a series of issue-oriented programs using existing local leaders as well as regional and national authorities from academic communities, business, and industry.
- Educate the participants in management/leadership skills and the application of those skills to volunteer community leadership positions.
- Develop interpersonal relationships and “esprit de corps” among the participants which will provide a common ground for working together on community projects.
- Create lines of direct communication between participants and existing community leaders.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement and assist in placement of participants in those positions.
Leadership Weirton Methods:
Action Group Assignments involving research into issues identified by local community-oriented agencies and organizations Panel Discussions — Small Group Discussions — Field Trips — Lectures — Simulations — Management Styles Workshops – Interviews with Community Leaders.
If you, an employee, or fellow colleague is interested in participating in Leadership Weirton, please read the following information. To receive an application, please contact the Chamber.
Who participates in Leadership Weirton?
Participation in Leadership Weirton is open to all area citizens. The Selection Committee reviews applications solicited from all walks of community life to select a class of interested, motivated, concerned individuals who have a sincere desire to offer their time and talents to improving their community. Selection is done without regard to race, sex, religion, age, national origin, or handicap, as defined by the law.
How do I apply?
Individuals and business and community associations may nominate prospective participants by contacting the Weirton Area Chamber of Commerce. Completed forms should be returned by October 31. The cost of the program is $350.00 for Chamber members and $400.00 for non-members payable upon acceptance to Leadership Weirton.
When does Leadership Weirton meet?
The program begins with a Kickoff Banquet at Holiday Inn in Weirton in January, followed by a day retreat at West Virginia Northern Community College in Weirton and is completed in the Summer. In addition to the Kickoff Banquet and the one-day retreat at Northern, one Leadership Weirton session will be held each month through June. Each class also has a graduation dinner at the end of the program. Attendance is required for the retreat, at least five of the six sessions, attendance at two government meetings and graduation.
Who is responsible for the Leadership Program & selection of participants?
The Board of Directors, a group of volunteers who have proven themselves to be knowledgeable, dedicated, community leaders, determine policy for the Leadership Program.
What subjects are dealt with in Leadership Weirton?
Each year a program committee, made up of the Leadership Board and other community leaders will establish the curriculum for the class based on current issues and events. Subjects being considered include: Education, Government, Health Care & Human Services, History and Culture and Business & Economic Development.
What format does the program use?
Local leaders in industry, business, civic & governmental affairs, as well as authorities from various academic communities, are invited to take part in the lectures, simulations, small group discussions, and panel discussions during the leadership sessions. Field trips and community research projects conducted by teams of Leadership participants may also be utilized.
Again, this is only a brief overview of the Leadership Weirton Program. For more information, contact the Weirton Area Chamber of Commerce, (304) 748-7212.