Helping to form and develop strong leadership within business that will ultimately help lead the future of Weirton.
A Program of People – Committed to the Leadership of the Present and Future Community
through Involvement, Understanding and Enthusiasm.
- Identify and select qualified leaders to participate in the program.
- Provide the participants with an understanding of the opportunities and needs of the community through a series of issues oriented programs using local leaders as well as regional and national authorities from academic, business, and industrial communities.
- Educate the participants in management/leadership skills & the application of those skills to volunteer in community leadership positions.
- Develop interpersonal relationships among the participants to provide a common ground for working together on community projects.
- Create lines of direct communication between participants and existing community leaders.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement.
- Friday, November 9, 2018 3pm: Ice Breaker & True Colors Session followed by the Kick-off Dinner-REQUIRED
- Saturday, November 10, 2018: SIMSOC (Christ United Methodist Church, 3598 PA Ave., Weirton)-REQUIRED
- THIS IS AN ALL DAY EVENT. STARTS AT 8am. PLEASE ARRIVE BY 7:45am.
- YOU WILL BE FINISHED NO LATER THAN 4:00pm.
- The class will determine the monthly date of the remaining sessions
- November 2018: Volunteerism/Teamwork (We will provide you with a list of available options)- REQUIRED
- December 2018: Health & Human Services – Class Advisor: Clayton Henderson, WMC
- February 2019: Government – Class Advisor: Jeff Davis, Hancock County Commission
- March 2019: Education – Class Advisor: Larry Tackett, WVNCC
- April 2019: History & Culture – Class Advisor: Pam Makricosta, Mary H. Weir Library
- Including EscapeWorks, Pennsylvania Ave., Weirton
- May 2019: Business & Economic Development- Class Advisor: Pat Ford, BDC
- June 2019: Graduation Banquet–REQUIRED (Day TBD)
- One (1) class community project to be completed before graduation- REQUIRED
- Attend one (1) Weirton Area Chamber event AND one (1) Wellsburg Chamber event AND one (1) Follansbee Chamber event- REQUIRED
- Attend one (1)Government meeting and one (1) Civic meeting: REQUIRED
- Government: City Council, County Commission, Board of Education
- Civic Groups: Rotary Club, Kiwanis
- Meetings CANNOT be a group of which you are already a member
- Return attendance forms provided in your packets to the Chamber. These forms must be signed by a Civic or Government Representative.
- Action Group Assignments
- Panel & Small Group Discussions
- Field Trips
- Management Style Workshops
- Interviews with Community Leaders
Selection Process & Who Can Participate:
- The program is open to all area citizens
- First 20 to apply and pay tuition in full
How To Apply:
- Contact the Weirton Area Chamber of Commerce for an application
- $350 for Chamber Members and $400 for non Chamber members
- Due to the costs involved with program participation, once an applicant has been accepted into the program and confirms their commitment to participate, tuition becomes non-refundable. Withdrawal from the program due to extreme circumstances (hospitalization, military duty, death, or other extreme situations) can be appealed to the Weirton Area Chamber for a case-by-case review.
- Advisors are available to offer guidance and answer questions. It is the responsibility of the participants to plan their assigned session and make the necessary arrangements. Any problems in this area should be brought to the attention of the Leadership Ohio Valley Coordinators or Chamber Office immediately.
- Sessions are to be scheduled on the day of the month selected by the participants. The length of the sessions are determined by each sub-committee.
- The History and Culture sub-committee participants are responsible for updating the Leadership Ohio Valley Please take at least two (2) candid and close-up pictures of each participant at each session. The scrapbook must be finished by graduation. In addition, please provide the Chamber with at least two digital (candid & close-up) pictures of each participant no later than the conclusion of the May session.
- To ensure that SIMSOC continues to be a rewarding experience, participants are asked to refrain from discussing the program.
We have started an Alumni Leadership Group on the Remind App to keep past Leadership Weirton and Leadership Ohio Valley participants involved in on-going events. To join using your smartphone: rmd.at/cbkh4a or text the message @cbkh4a to the number 81010. If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @cbkh4a to (304) 491-4511. *standard text messaging rates apply.